Our team has agreed to the guiding principles below to create a team environment of respect, excellence, and personal growth. These principles represent our commitment to both personal and professional success.
- We will appreciate and acknowledge the skills, gifts, and purpose God has given us. We will pause and intentionally recognize God’s work in our lives that has prepared us for the purpose He has given us through Unshattered.
“…in all your ways acknowledge Him…”
– Proverbs 3:6
- We will act with purpose. Unshattered is about more than making bags. The products we create represent transformed lives. We are living out our own transformation and paving a way forward for others by contributing financially to the Hoving Home and creating employment opportunities that enable women to sustain a life of sobriety and stability.
“How can you say you love somebody if you don’t care about their economic well-being?”
– Becca Stevens, Founder Thistle Farms
- We will tell our stories. Unshattered is a mission, not a product. #iusedtobe tells the transformation story of both cast-off materials and broken lives into items of beauty and purpose. Our goal is not to exploit women’s experiences, but to use our lives to tell the story of hope and healing. The honest sharing of the trauma, transformation, and triumph motivates others to invest in Unshattered.
“No one can tell how big the miracle is until they know how far down we started.”
– Anna Grady
- We will solve problems.What we gain from this opportunity will be leadership, self-confidence and problem solving. Learning to overcome challenges is both a professional and personal asset. Taking ownership to find a solution is the most valuable skill any employee can offer. The confidence to take on challenges makes one unstoppable.
“Failure is not the opposite of success, it is a part of success.”
- We will act professionally and responsibly. Our attitudes, voices, and appearance will reflect professionalism. We will be the resource pool that every other company in the accelerator wants to hire from. Our quality is not just in our bags, it’s in our team that builds them.
“Responsibility is the price of greatness.”
– Winston Churchill
- We will be a team.We will support, encourage, and help one another to do our best work every day both at work and outside of it. We will work together to deliver products that we are proud of. And we will function as an intentional community intent on sustaining our recovery and continuing our growth.
“People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron.”
– Proverbs 27:17 GNT
- We will pursue excellence at all times.Our bags are a tangible representation of the transformation that has happened in our own lives – worn out, broken, discarded pieces put back together into something beautiful and purposeful. We will produce well-made products that demonstrate the renewing of our lives and reflect the quality of the Walter Hoving Home program.
“Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters.”
– Colossians 3:23 NIV
Isaiah 58:9-11 (The Message)
If you get rid of unfair practices, quit blaming victims, quit gossiping about other people’s sins,
If you are generous with the hungry and start giving yourselves to the down-and-out,
Your lives will begin to glow in the darkness, your shadowed lives will be bathed in sunlight.
I will always show you where to go. I’ll give you a full life in the emptiest of places—firm muscles, strong bones.
You’ll be like a well-watered garden, a gurgling spring that never runs dry.
You’ll use the old rubble of past lives to build anew, rebuild the foundations from out of your past.
You’ll be known as those who can fix anything, restore old ruins, rebuild and renovate, make the community livable again.